Caribbean Black Beans
For the quick recipe version, use canned black beans and add the the ginger with the sauteed onions, etc...
- 1 cup dried black beans (or 1 15 oz can, rinsed beans)
- 1 small onion chopped and divided in half
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp minced or grated ginger
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced or grated turmeric
- 3/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 medium orange juiced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup green pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup red, yellow and/or orange peppers chopped
- 1 tbsp cooking sherry, dry
Rinse dried beans and place in pot. Add water, allowing enough to cover beans with 2 inches. Add garlic, ginger, onions and salt.
Bring to boil over high heat. Boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Cook till desired tenderness is reached. Older beans will take longer.
Once beans are cooked, remove from heat.
Sautee remaining onions, peppers, turmeric, black pepper, and allspice in olive oil over medium high heat for about 2 minutes until onions are translucent.
Strain beans and add to sautee along with orange juice and sherry. Stir to heat evenly.
Calories: 360kcalCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 15gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gSodium: 396mgPotassium: 1215mgFiber: 13gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 552IUVitamin C: 53mgCalcium: 122mgIron: 5mg