White Chicken Chili
This hearty dish is a wonderful alternative to a regular beef chili and also contains many beneficial herbs including turmeric which may help prevent cancer, Alzheimer’s, heartburn and arthritis.
- 8 oz cooked chicken skinless, boneless, shredded white or dark meat
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 oz Mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 pound Fresh kale chopped
- 1 14 oz can chicken broth low fat and reduced sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1 15.5 oz can Navy beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz can White corn drained and rinsed
- 1 4.5 oz can Green chilies chopped
- 2 tsp Lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tsp dried parsley or 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp roasted garlic this comes in a jar (or use 1 minced garlic clove)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- Black pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tbs. Olive oil
In a large stockpot, saute onions and garlic in olive oil stirring until translucent.
Add chicken, onion, mushrooms, chicken broth, water, navy beans, corn, chilies, garlic and seasonings. For a thicker soup puree or mash 1/2 of the can of beans before adding.
Bring to a boil and then simmer for 45 minutes to one hour, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired
Add kale in the last few minutes and cook until tender. Serve hot.